Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kevin O'Brien the hero as Ireland shock England




England were left in shock and awe as Kevin O'Brien's astonishing display of controlled hitting delivered a damaging blow to their World Cup hopes.
O'Brien (113) hit the fastest hundred in the tournament's history to turn an apparently hopeless situation for Ireland into victory with three wickets and five balls to spare.

From 111 for five in the 25th over under lights, he launched 13 fours and six sixes on his way to and beyond a 50-ball century which spared no English bowler.

Named man of the match O'Brien admitted he could scarcely believe his feat.

He said: "I'm pretty speechless at the moment. To be honest it's the best innings I've ever played since I started playing cricket. I just kept going and kept believing and it went our way.

"When we were 111 for five we could have just pottered around, but I chanced my arm and we didn't look back really. We attacked and it came off."

Kevin is one of five O'Brien brothers to play cricket, with Niall keeping wicket yesterday, and Ger, who is the president of Kevin's club in Ireland - the Railway Union Cricket Club - was not surprised to see him take England's attack apart.

He said: "Over the last six or eight months his batting has really flourished and he was destined to have a big knock.

"I am so proud. I followed some of it on the web and then I got out to see the climax of the game. When he got to 80 I knew he had a chance and he did nearly all of it in boundaries, which was amazing.

"It was amazing to see the English bowlers go around. He took them apart, even Graeme Swann, who is the No 1 spin bowler in the world.

"It is such a great day for Irish cricket. Some bookmakers had Ireland at 400-1 at one stage. I wish I'd not kept my money in pocket."

Kevin O'Brien had a spell with Nottinghamshire in 2009 on a one-day contract and his exploits are sure to attract other counties to him ahead of the 2011 season.

Ireland captain William Porterfield, who was dismissed first ball in his side's reply by James Anderson, hailed the victory as their greatest-ever win.

"It's got to be the greatest, pretty much the greatest day of our lives so far," he said. "Credit to the lads, they kept believing. We'll be looking to put in a performance like that every game."

Alex Cusack claimed Ireland were "on top of the world" after the result. Cusack, who made 47, added: "I'm pretty amazed, words can't described how I'm feeling, just on top of the world."

Cusack paid tribute to the big-hitting O'Brien, adding: "I was just trying to knock it around for Kev because he's got the power. He's got the big shots."

Read More

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Kevin-O39Brien-the-hero-as.6727621.jp

No comments:

Post a Comment