Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hussey over the moon after dream recall


An elated Mike Hussey says it will be "out of this world" if he can play a part in helping Australia win their fourth straight World Cup.

Hussey was told of his World Cup recall during Sunday's tea break in the Sheffield Shield match between Western Australia and Queensland at the WACA Ground.

The 35-year-old, who was part of the initial squad but then axed following a hamstring injury, will fly off to the subcontinent on Tuesday but said he was unsure whether he would slot straight back into the side.


"Just going is a bit of a dream come true but to actually be there as part of a winning Australian team would be out of this world, so let's hope," Hussey said on Monday.

"I feel very excited and can't wait to get over there and catch up with the boys.

"I've had lots of messages from the boys already so I'm just excited to get over there really."

Hussey, who replaces injured paceman Doug Bollinger, posted scores of just 19 and 11 against Queensland in his first Shield hit-out since undergoing hamstring surgery in January.

But the prolific left-hander said his time at the crease and in the field gave him confidence his hamstring would hold up to the rigours of one-day cricket.

"The first innings I fielded in the slips for the whole innings so I didn't really have to test it too much but in the second innings the selectors actually did want me to have a bit of a run around in the field," Hussey said.

"So I spoke to Northy (skipper Marcus North) and said 'do you mind if I have a run in the outfield?'

"And the more I was out and on it the better it felt and the more confidence I got with it.

"It would have been nice to score more runs but just to be out there playing the game you love again is what it's all about.

"Just knowing I can get through the game and know I can go full of confidence with the leg, that gives me a lot of confidence as well."

Hussey believed Australia were a good chance of winning the title in India.

"We've got to be a great chance," he said.

"A confident Australian team is always very hard to beat so hopefully we can keep building that confidence and be right there at the business end of the tournament."

Read More

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hussey-over-the-moon-after-dream-recall-20110307-1bkgv.html


No comments:

Post a Comment