Thursday, January 6, 2011

Clarke quits Twenty20




Michael Clarke has opted to turn his back on international Twenty20 cricket in order to focus on his Test career.

Clarke, who replaced the injured Ricky Ponting as Australia's captain for the final Ashes Test in Sydney, had previously skippered the side at the World Twenty20 in the West Indies.

However the 29-year-old batsman has now decided to quit the shortest form of the game - meaning he will now miss the two T20 games against England.

"I'm retiring from international Twenty20 cricket," Clarke confirmed.

"Looking back on this series, my Test cricket isn't where I want it at the moment - so I guess this gives me the opportunity now to focus wholly and solely on Test and one-day international cricket.

"I'll use that time to play more domestic and first-class cricket for New South Wales, and become a better Test player.

"I've always said Test cricket is the ultimate for me, and this gives me that opportunity."

Cameron White is the most likely replacement for Clarke as Australia's Twenty20 captain.


Read More

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/story/0,26376,12340_6639095,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment