Friday, January 21, 2011

2010 State of Tobacco Control Report


The American Lung Association has released its 2010 State of Tobacco Control report. Florida and Georgia both received F's in more than on category.

Resident Tommy Lewis kicked the habit years ago and says he never looked back."I smoked from the time I was 20 years old til about the time I was 30, and I quit about 20 years ago and have not smoked since. I put then down one day and never picked them back up" said Lewis.

The report says the economic cost of smoking in Georgia is just under 6 billion dollars while Florida comes in at more than 12 billion.

Florida and Georgia both received failing grades for Tobacco prevention and spending control. For Smoke-Free Air, Florida maintained its B average while Georgia maintained a C.

Non-smoker Sarah Bishop says, "I think it's an unhealthy habit. I've know a lot of people who have suffered health risks from it. I know my step day was told if he had another cigarette it would kill him."

The Lung Association report says more than 28-thousand deaths in Florida and more than 10-thousand in Georgia are related to smoking.

A total of eight states received all "F's" ... and while many received higher scores, no state on the report received all A's.

Thomas Carr who is the Director of National Policies for The American Lung Association says, "Georgia got three F's and a C and Florida got two F's and B and a D. I think Florida actually is a good example of where some of the policies are starting to have an impact."

Read More

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/2010_State_of_Tobacco_Control_Report__114404204.html

No comments:

Post a Comment