Monday, May 2, 2011

'I'll miss my friend Henry's warm smile,' Ali leads tributes to Cooper


Place in our hearts: Sir Henry Cooper has died aged 76. He is pictured on his 75th birthday after aftershave company 'Brut' helped celebrate with him by re- launching the product he made famous in the 70s


'I visited him two summers ago during a brief visit to Windsor as part of the Equestrian Games being held there. He was in good humour and looked quite fit. Henry always had a smile for me; a warm and embracing smile. It was always a pleasure being in his company. I will miss my old friend. He was a great fighter and a gentleman.'

Former welterweight and light-welterweight world champion Ricky Hatton said: 'Our 'Enery will be sadly missed, but he won't be forgotten by fight fans.'

WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan added: 'We had a good conversation about my career and what steps I should take. It was great advice. When he was inside the ring he was like an animal, but when he was outside the ring he had a lot of respect for his opponents and for his fans.'

WBA world heavyweight champion David Haye said: 'I used to watch his fights and the left hook that he hit Ali with, I've never seen a left hook thrown as punch-perfectly as that.'

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis tweeted: 'R.I.P. Sir Henry Cooper. Former British, Commonwealth and European champion. My deepest condolences to the Cooper family.'

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1382872/Muhammad-Ali-delivers-moving-tribute-Henry-Cooper.html#ixzz1LGHE2Q7m

No comments:

Post a Comment